Monday, September 24, 2012

I have to fight for the sake of my children

A YOUNG mum is making the most of her final months after being diagnosed with terminal stomach cancer.

Lisa Fry is just 28, but is focusing on what is expected to be her last Christmas with her two young daughters.

She knows that the people of Southmead are supporting her and children Kaci-Jay, seven and Miley, 22 months in her final weeks.

On Saturday – despite her deteriorating health – Miss Fry joined dozens of walkers taking part in a nine-mile trek to raise money for her beloved daughters and a charity that has supported her.

She told the Post that she was overwhelmed by the support she has received from the community she has lived in her whole life.

Miss Fry was diagnosed with cancer at the end of July after feeling unwell for about 18 months and losing a lot of weight.

"I had been finding it hard to eat and they put a camera down my gullet to have a look," the full-time mum said.

"They said there was some erosion and took biopsies. They said it would take about five to six weeks for the results but I had a call a week and a half later and they said they had found a growth in my stomach."

She was told that the cancer spread and there was nothing that could be done.

"They said I wasn't looking at years but months," Miss Fry said.

"Having my girls is keeping me going. That and having the support.

"I'm relieved I'm leaving them in a community that's so caring. I'm glad I'm here and to have the support from everyone. They are doing so much for me. I can't believe it's for me and my kids. It's really nice."

Miss Fry said she feels tired a lot of the time as a result of the chemotherapy treatments and tablets she is having to give her longer with her children.

"I want to be as strong as I can for the kids. I am having three lots of chemotherapy. Then they are going to see if it works. They have said they will give me chemo until February 1. When I saw the dates for that I was really relieved that we will have Christmas and I will fight this for as long as I can. I have to fight for my kids.

"Any mother's worst nightmare is to leave her kids. Especially with them being so young."

Her eldest daughter knows that her mummy has a "bad belly" and has been told about the hair loss Miss Fry might suffer as a result of treatment.

"We have talked about getting a Rapunzel wig or blue hair like Katy Perry, making it easier for her to understand," she said.

Despite the effects of the chemotherapy Miss Fry joined the other walkers who set off from the Treble Chance pub on Saturday, determined to walk as far as she could along the nine-mile route.

Many of the walkers wore bright pink T-shirts with pictures of Miss Fry on them, along with tutus, while others were dressed as cartoon characters.

As well as raising money for Miss Fry's daughters they were supporting Macmillan Cancer Support, which provides practical advice and support for people with the disease.

"I'm really shocked that so many people turned up," she said.

"It makes you think what a good community this is. People always put Southmead down but I have never seen so many people and it's all for me."

The fundraiser was organised by landlady of the Treble Chance pub, Lisa Thorne, who has known Miss Fry for about 20 years.

Miss Thorne, 43, said: "It just goes to show how this has brought the community together. It is just nice that everyone's thinking of her."

Other events are being organised by the rugby club and the Bear and Rugged Staff pub.

I have to fight for the sake   of my children

car donations new jersey

No comments:

Post a Comment